Karwa Chauth is one of the most significant rituals in a married woman’s life and the festival is just around the corner. It is widely celebrated among married Indian women all across the country. Karwa Chauth is celebrated by married Hindu women to pray for their husbands’ long life and well-being. Karwa Chauth rules might seem a bit difficult to follow at first by newly married women, but it gets easier with every passing year. The rules should be followed strictly as Karwa Chauth is an auspicious occasion that brings peace, harmony, and good fortune to people’s lives and families. Below you can find some rules and tips that might come in handy if you are wondering how to keep Karwa Chauth fast this year.
Steps to Keep Karwa Chauth Fast
- According to the rules, women should not engage in any household chores on the day of Karwa Chauth. They are required to apply henna, wear traditional clothes, jewelry, and dress up for the pooja and celebrations.
- Using sharp objects such as needles, knives, scissors are to be strictly avoided.
- Any kind of situation that arises conflict should be avoided by women. As Karwa Chauth is the celebration of togetherness and love, any kind of impolite behavior or confrontation must be avoided on this day.
- Women should not consume meals containing onion and garlic.
- On this day, women need to wake up early, freshen up, get dressed and eat the Sargi prepared by their mother-in-law before sunrise.
- Women are not allowed to eat anything during the Karwa Chauth fast. They are not even allowed to drink anything before they break their fast, so it is important that they eat filling food and drink enough water to keep them going through the day.
- Fasting women must start their meal with something sweet to ensure harmony and positivity in their married lives.
The above-mentioned rules are to be followed by women while keeping the Karwa Chauth fast. It is extremely important to know how to properly break the fast as well. Otherwise, the entire process remains incomplete and becomes futile. Below are some of the rules that need to be followed in order to properly break the Karwa Chauth fast.
Steps to Break Karwa Chauth Fast
- The Karwa Chauth pooja thali must be prepared before breaking the fast. The thali usually contains a diya, a lota, and a matthri.
- Women must see the moon through a sieve or channi in order to break their fast. The lit diya should be placed in the channi.
- Then women need to pour water from the lota downwards in the moon’s direction along with matthris thrown as offerings.
- After seeing the moon through the sieve women have to see their husbands’ faces through the same sieve and pray for their long lives and good health.
- The husband then offers some water and food to the fasting wife and breaks her fast.
- After the women break their fast, they count the blessings of the elders in the family and have their dinner.
Karwa Chauth fast is one of the most important fasts in the history of Hindu rituals. Wives are not allowed to swallow even a morsel of food or a drop of water after sunrise. They have to wait till the moon becomes visible in order to break the fast. The sky usually stays cloudy on the day of this festival, hence the fasting women have to wait till 8 or 9 pm since dawn. It is immensely difficult to go about an entire day without a crumb of food or a drop of water, but women happily do this for their husbands’ well-being. So, it’s only humane to be nice and appreciate the fasting women who sacrifice so much for their loving husbands on this day and every day.
is successfully added to your shopping cart.
is added to your wish list.
Your message has been successfully sent. We will contact you very soon!