Karva chauth is considered to be one of the most important festivals in India and the Hindu religion. Karva chauth got more popular because of the cinemas and TV shows. On the day of karva chauth, married women fast for the entire day. They fast on Kartik Chandradaya Vyapini Chaturthi. Women keep the fast for their husbands' longevity, prosperity and wellbeing. It is crucial for the women to eat or drink before sunrise, as, after sunrise, she cannot eat or drink anything. The fast lasts until the rise of the moon. Women break their fast after moonrise.
Karva Chauth Vrat Vidhi- Fasting method
- It is a strict day-long fast. It starts early in the morning so the women wake up before sunrise and eat food like nuts, fruits, juice, vermicelli kheer, mathri etc .
- Since it starts early in the morning so women prepare a karva chauth sargi ki thali a day before karvachauth.
- Take a bath before the fast, and start the karva chauth fast.
- In the evening, women dress up and gather together to perform karvachauth puja. All the women sit in a circle.
- The katha is read aloud by one of the women as the thali with a sweet, glass of water, a diya, and other pooja material is passed around in a circle.
On the fasting day, when you take a morning bath, you should also take a pledge, and it is called Sankalp. You are keeping the fast for the wellbeing and prosperity of your husband and your family. It is recited on the day of Sankalp that the fasting means you cannot eat any food or drink water
and the fast can only be broken after moonrise.
The mantra that is chanted during Sankalp is- मम सुखसौभाग्य पुत्रपौत्रादि सुस्थिर श्री प्राप्तये करक चतुर्थी व्रतमहं करिष्ये- It means “ I would closely look into the fasting of Karak Chaturthi for the long life and wellbeing of my husband, son and grandson and for their better wealth condition."
The Puja of Karva Chauth
The most ideal time to for Karva Chauth Puja would be during the Sandhya time according to Vratraj. It is when the sun starts to set.
Karva Chauth Puja is mainly worshipping Goddess Parvati. Women can draw Goddes Gauri and Chauth Matha on the house’s wall or can use Chauth Mata image to worship Goddess Parvati.
Generally, the puja is performed by women in a group, and they narrate the story of Karva chauth Mahatamya who is known as the origin of the fasting of karva chauth.
When the puja is done, the karva is given to the Brahmins as charity or to some eligible woman. The Karak or Karva must be filled with milk or water, and there should be some coins or precious stones dropped into it.
Worship of God Moon
>After the Karva chauth Puja, the women wait for the moon to rise. Once the moon rises, the women start to worship God Chandra with sargi ki thali that you can get on Karvachauth.com. Once worshipping of God Chandra has been done, they can break the fast.
Their husband feeds them with food and water after the fast to show equal affection and support.
Your message has been successfully sent. We will contact you very soon!